Saltwater Toxicity in Pets
We all love bringing our dogs to the beach on a nice day. To see them bounding up and down the beach or playing in the water is just so normal that we don't usually think of the dangers involved.
What is saltwater toxicity?
Salt water toxicity occurs when a dog drinks too much water directly from the sea. It can be life threatening so you should seek veterinary help for your pet immediately.
Signs to watch out for:
If your pet has drunk an excessive amount of salt water then you will see the following signs:
What do I do?
First of all, DON'T PANIC
. If you return home with your pet and they seem unwell or are exhibiting the signs mentioned above, the best thing to do is bring them to your vet.
Do not force them to drink any water as, depending on the severity of the case, it could lead to brain swelling from the sudden drop in salt levels.
So how do we avoid this?
When planning a trip to the beach, make sure to bring fresh drinking water and a travel bowl for your pet to drink from.
Do not allow your pet to drink water from the sea. I know this is easier said than done, but make sure to supervise your pet at all times.
Remember, if you seek immediate veterinary help once you've noticed these signs, then in most cases the outcome will be good and your pet will recover well.
Image source: morguefile.com
239909 - 2023-07-18 04:45:03
Copyright 2022 OatLabs ABN 18113479226