A cat lying on its side is in its relaxed pose. Image courtesy of photouten at freedigitalphotos.net
Just as we can make inferences from humans' body language, for example, folded arms could indicate mistrust, leaning forward may imply a person is interest, so too do cats have classical body language that can give us clues about what's on our kitty's mind!
Here are common positions that cats assume which may tell us what's on their mind or how they are feeling.
1. A cat lying on its side. This is a classical relaxed body posture. The puss is calm with not much on their mind.
2. A cat resting on its paws lying, or upright with paws in front. The cat is taking an interest in its surroundings and is in an generally happy state.
The common cat position of laying, paws tucked under generally feels happy and content Image courtesy of Tuomas_Lehtinen at freedigitalphotos.net
3. A cat with its entire body crouched down with head forward an alert is typical of a feline who has cited prey or who is on the prowl.
4. A cat lying on its back with paws in the air is most probably feeling playful, yet ready to defend itself! People may have had first hand experience of this if trying to rub their cat's tummy while its lying on its back!
a cat with its paws in the air is ready to play, but also ready to bite if annoyed!. Image courtesy of Pansa at freedigitalphotos.net
5. An arched back with fur on end is a cat's anxious body posture. It does this as a defence mechanism in response to feelings of fear with the fur on end giving the impression the cat is larger than it is.
6. A cat with its head dropped squeezing its posture into a small ball is probably also anxious. It is also a defence posture designed to make the cat seem therefore protecting itself.
A cat who is afraid will drop its head and appear to be trying to make itself appear smaller. Image courtesy of gameanna at freedigitalphotos.net
7. A posture for when cats share their love. They arch their back, head is up as they rub against their human in an affectionate gesture.