One may think a pet is very safe if it is indoors. What could possibly cause them harm? This depends on the type of pet you have, its age and its personality. Some pets will eat anything or love exploring and end up in sticky situations. Others are less adventurous. Some owners are careful (or even obsessive) about keeping potential dangers away from their pets.
Image courtesy of Pixabay
Potential traps Pets can enjoy exploring empty boxes, washing machines, clothes dryers, old refrigerators, cupboards and ovens. An item can tip over when an animal climbs into it. If they are unable to get out or the door closes causing them to become trapped there can be a problem.
Power cords A live electrical cord can electrocute a pet that chews it.
tape electrical cords securely to the wall to prevent easy access by pets
use cord clips to attach cords to the rear of furniture
turn appliances off at the wall and unplug when not in use
provide pets with plenty of safe toys to chew on, especially during the teething phase of life
if cords can't be kept out of the reach of pets, restrict access to the area
install a safety switch
Stove tops and heaters Cats can jump onto a stove top to check out the fish cooking there. Some hotplates retain heat for a long time after turned off and a cat can receive serious burns to their paws.
Pets can get burnt by a bar heater, gas fire or fireplace if they are too close. Use a screen or fire guard to prevent access to these heat sources.
Poisons If you know or suspect your pet has eaten something it shouldn't contact your local vet immediately for advice.
The following items sometimes found around the house can cause poisoning in pets:
dishwasher tablets or pods
medications such as pain killers, intended for human consumption. Aspirin, ibuprofen, cancer treatments, anti-depressants, diet pills and vitamins are just some of the medications toxic to pets. Ensure you find and dispose of any dropped tablets and keep tubes of ointment away from pets.
Medications intended for human use can be toxic to pets Image courtesy of Pixabay
Harmful foods Gone are the days when owners fed their pets all manner of scraps of food intended for humans, not realising they could be harmful.
The following are a few of the foods that can cause illness or even death:
bread dough. Uncooked dough can expand in the pet's stomach after being ingested and can be fatal.
sultanas, raisins, grapes
onions and onion powder
House plants Plants including ivy, poinsettias, dieffenbachia, elephant ears,ferns and ribbon plant are poisonous. Don't allow your pet to chew on them.
Dieffenbachia looks lovely but is toxic to cats and dogs Image courtesy of Pixabay
Choking The following items may cause choking:
string or wool can get caught under the pet's tongue and the rest of it can be swallowed, possibly cutting the walls of the intestines
wire twist ties
children's toys, especially small ones made of plastic
plastic wrap. This can be attractive if there are meat juices on it
lollies. A lolly can easily fall on the floor and be eaten by your dog and cause choking. Some lollies contain xylitol as a sweetener. This can lead to a drop in the dog's sugar level or vomiting and loss of coordination. Liver failure can also result.
Drowning Although cats and dogs can swim if they have to, drowning may occur if they are unable to get out of the water. Kittens are especially at risk and could drown in a bathtub, spa, sink, toilet or even a bucket. Make sure they can't access these things when no one is watching.
Take a look around your house to check for any of these potential risks and take any necessary precautions.