Our pets are curious creatures, and this can often lead us into trouble. A large number of popular garden plants can be toxic to our pets if ingested.
Retrieved from MorgueFile
The symptoms or signs can vary depending on the toxin involved. The severity of the signs can range from mild stomach ache all the way up to cardiovascular failure and even death.
Listed below are a few common symptoms of ingestion of plants which you should avoid having in your garden. For a larger list download the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) app for your phone for instant access to information regarding toxic plants.
Aloe Vera Symptoms include anorexia, diarrhoea and vomiting. Aloe Vera can also include tremors, depression and a change in urine colour.
Aloe Vera - Image Retrieved from MorgueFile
Avocado Gastrointestinal signs (vomiting and diarrhoea), difficulty breathing, and even death.
Avocado - Retrieved from MorgueFile
Ferns Skin irritations, ingestion of berries related to the ferns can cause gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
Ferns - Retrieved from MorgueFile
Hydrangea Vomiting and diarrhoea, an increase in heart rate, increased body temperature and depression
Others Other common plants to avoid around cats and dogs include sago and zamia palms, lillies, marijuana, macadamia nuts, ivy, and even onions, garlic and chives which may cause damage to red blood cells