From my time working in Western Australia, I have become accustomed to the common "Blowfish case", where a pet has ingested or is suspected of ingesting a blowfish. Obviously this is quite a stressful and upsetting time for any owner as it can be quite a difficult thing to diagnose straight away, especially if you haven't witnessed the incident. The signs that your pet may be sick may not occur for up to seven hours after ingestion, so often owners will not know why their pet is acting strange.
If your pet has eaten a blowfish, then the following signs may be seen:
More serious signs that may be seen include:
Vomiting and diarrhoea- Like with many cases where a pet has ingested something toxic, or just something that does not agree with them, they will vomit to try get rid of the toxin from their system. This will stop further absorption of the toxin.
Your pet may appear dull, lacking any energy and just not themselves.
They may shake or tremble.
They may appear unsteady on their feet.
They may have difficulty breathing.
If you look into their mouth, their gums may appear blue tinged.
They may slip into a coma.
For pets that are given veterinary attention immediately,
the prognosis is good.
They will usually recover within a couple of days without any lasting side effects.
If you do not seek veterinary attention for your pet after an encounter with a blowfish, your pet may become paralysed from the toxin produced by the blowfish and is unlikely to recover.
Pets should always be supervised whilst at the beach. Dogs are typical scavengers and like to sniff, play or eat anything that pops up in front of their nose, unbeknownst to them that it may actually be harmful. If you are worried that your pet has or may have eaten a blowfish, the best thing to do is visit the vet.
It's always better to be safe than sorry!
Image source: morguefile.com