When parents bring a new baby into their home, they take every precaution to make it safe. Bringing a new dog into your home requires the same care.
Photo: Flickr- Tambako the Jaguar
Dogs, and especially puppies, are curious by nature and will explore their new homes quite thoroughly. Below are listed some things that can be dangerous or deadly to your pet.
1. PEOPLE FOOD….meant for humans, not dogs
Chocolate contains Methylxanthines and Caffeine, both of which are harmful to dogs. As little as ½ oz of bakers chocolate can kill a small breed dog if ingested. 6 to 8 ozs can kill a large breed dog. The darker the chocolate, the more danger it poses.
Grapes and Raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Avocados contain Persin, a chemical that can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea.
Macadamia nuts cause muscle weakness, overheating and vomiting and can lead to seizures.
Xylitol, a sweetener in sugar-free gum and candy can cause liver failure in dogs. Gum itself can become lodged in the intestines and cause blockage.
2. MEDICINE FOR PEOPLE
NSAIDS (anti-inflammatories) like Naprosyn and Ibuprofen can cause gastric distress, ulcers and kidney failure.
Antidepressants increase the heart rate and raise body temperature, which can lead to seizures.
3. HOUSEHOLD CLEANING SUPPLIES
Soaps, bleach, ammonia and other cleaning supplies contain chemicals that can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and respiratory distress.
4. GARDEN AND GARAGE
Antifreeze, ethylene glycol, is sweet to the taste and deadly. It destroys the kidneys allowing toxins to build in the blood and results in kidney failure and death.
Fertilizers and Pesticides can both be fatal to your dog if ingested. Fertilizers can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration and pesticides, which are poison, can kill.
Flea and Tick treatments if ingested in larger than the recommended dosage can cause severe stomach distress and dehydration.
Coco bark mulch contains Methylxanthine, like chocolate and its’ aroma is very tempting to dogs. It can cause intestinal blockage and death.
5. ELECTRICAL CORDS, WINDOW BLIND CORDS and STRING
Puppies, and dogs in general, like to chew on things. Exposed cords on lamps, appliances and computers are fair game to a teething puppy or bored dog. Aside from the obvious danger of electrocution, the bits of wire covering and wire can become embedded in the throat or intestines resulting in lesions or choking.
The cords on window blinds can become wrapped around a leg or the dog’s throat cutting off circulation or causing strangulation. Additionally, the cord itself, if ingested, can cause choking, or like string when ingested, become entangled in the intestines or bowel causing blockages or severe tissue damage.
A quick look around the house and a few simple measures will help ensure your pet’s safety. Always keep cleaners and chemicals safely stored away in bins or cabinets. Tuck electrical cords and blind pulls out of reach and only feed your pet foods and medicines designed especially for them.
Remember, prevention is the best medicine but in case of an accidental poisoning, call your vet immediately.